Industrial Technology Engineering Academy (ITEA)
Ready to be part of the ITEA team? Click here to fill out a program enrollment form. If you meet program eligibility requirements, someone should get back to you within two business days with everything you need.
The Academy Model
The Partnership Academy Model is a three-year program, grades 10-12, structured as a school-within-a-school. There are currently over 500 funded programs throughout California. The model, originating with the Philadelphia Academies in the late 1960s, spread to California in the early 1980s. Academies incorporate many features of the high school reform movement that includes creating a close family-like atmosphere, integrating academic and career technical education, and establishing viable business partnerships. Emphasis is also placed on student achievement and positive post secondary outcomes. Academies have been carefully evaluated and shown to have positive impacts on school performance. Key components of the Academy model are:
- Curriculum focused on a career theme and coordinated with related academic classes;
- A voluntary student selection process that identifies interested ninth graders;
- A team of teachers who work together to plan and implement the program;
- A variety of motivational activities with private sector involvement to encourage academic and occupational preparation such as a mentor and internship program, enhanced curriculum, classroom speakers, field trips, and post secondary options.
The mission of the Industrial Technology Engineering Academy is to prepare our graduates to enter into the fields of Industrial Technology/Engineering either by becoming employed in an entry level position or by pursuing further post secondary training or education.
Areas of Study
The manufacturing technology pathway includes the areas of welding, metal fabrication, machine tooling, machinery manufacturing, maintenance and service functions. Workers in this area need to communicate effectively with co-workers, supervisors and clients.
Do you like building things? Do you take pride in your work? Do you work on a project until all the pieces fit together exactly? If you answer "yes" to any of the above questions, then the construction technology pathway may be for you. There are many areas that you can specialize in: carpentry, heavy equipment operation, heating and air conditioning, plumbing, surveying or managing a building operation. You may choose to work on houses, office buildings, bridges, highways, pipelines, or railroads.
The possibilities are endless and include college preparation in architecture and engineering.
If your interest are in the areas of graphic design, drafting, desktop/electronics, printing art an copy presentation, reproduction photography and image assembly you may want to pursue this career pathway. Plate making, screen printing, press operation, binding and finishing are interesting and rewarding careers, Commercial photography and multimedia employment can also be pursued in this career field.
College majors in this pathway include: Advertising, Commercial Art, Graphic Arts, Drafting, and Industrial Design.
Energy, Power, and Transportation
If you are interested in real power, then the energy pathways are for you. Hydroelectric, Geothermal, Fuel Generated, and Nuclear Power are all part of this exciting pathway. Careers in this area also involve the distribution of power, as well as the conservation of our energy resources.
The transportation pathways include maintenance, electronic and other technical specialist whose services include air, land, and sea travel. The Transportation pathway also includes those vital careers that scheduled, ship and deliver goods and material around the world.
Benefits for Students and Parents
- A clear educational plan that leads to a career goal
- Reduced duplication of content in classes and at educational levels
- Academic credit for postsecondary programs/advanced placement status
- Learning becomes relevant and meaningful
- The ability to monitor academic performance and standards by utilizing the world wide web
- Curriculum standards for all subject areas
- Job shadow in the areas of industrial technology
- Guest speakers from the world of work
For more information or questions about becoming part of Johansen's ITEA program, please contact: