Digital Arts & Technology Advancement (DATA) pathway
This video was designed to show some of the elements of the pathway, as well as feature some of our favorite student projects.
Modesto Bee Amplified
'18-'19 DATA Student Created Highlight Video
This video was designed by our video students to give a quick visual highlight of some of the many cool aspects of the pathway.
'18-'19 DATA Adv. Game Design Showreel
This video was designed by our pathway's Adv. Game Design students to show highlights from games they designed and implemented this year.
Ready to be part of the DATA team? If you attend La Loma, Glick, or Hanshaw, select this link to fill out a program enrollment form. If you meet program eligibility requirements, and there is available space in the program, someone will get back to you within a few business days.
- Must have and maintain a minimum of a 2.5 GPA.
About the Pathway
We offer students a dynamic pathway of UC A-G approved courses that apply learning to student's interests as they prepare for careers in technology.
Our pathway includes two branches (or sub-pathways) of study:
Digital Media Broadcasting: Where students train for a career in the digital arts, digital audio production, video production, and broadcasting.
Digital Media Arts & Game Arts: Where students train for a career in the digital arts, video game development, computer programming, digital audio production, and computer science.
The DATA pathway includes courses in 3D Graphics & Animation, Adv. 3D Graphics & Animation, Programming & Game Design, Intermediate Game Design, Adv. Game Design, Computer Programming, Digital Audio Production, Studio Recording, Video Arts & Production, Broadcasting, Advanced Broadcasting, and Web Design.
Digital Media Broadcasting
- Learn cutting edge cinema vfx techniques to create and composite photorealistic 3D graphics, animation, and effects
- Create videos with your friends as you learn every aspect of video production including screenwriting, directing talent, software and techniques, linear and non-linear editing, video camera techniques, television production, studio based and field production, and digital storytelling
- Learn how to record, alter, and produce all manner of digital audio
- Learn the art of prerecorded and live broadcasting in our beautiful state-of-the-art broadcasting studio
- Learn to create professional commercials, interviews, and other prerecorded broadcast productions
- Create the VikingTV news broadcasts and supporting content shown throughout the school (click here to view some of the broadcasts)
- Work on professional video production projects to create a professional portfolio of work
Digital Media Arts and Game Arts
- Learn cutting edge techniques to create realistic low-poly 3D graphics, characters, animations, and effects for use in next-gen console games
- Learn the same software and techniques Disney, Pixar, and your favorite game studios use to create beautifully rendered 3D animation
- Learn foundational programming concepts and object-oriented programming by applying them to game design and robotics
- Learn how to create video games for Windows PC, iOS, Android, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Virtual Reality
- Study digital motion capture techniques in our cutting-edge motion capture studio
- Learn to develop software for computers and handheld devices
- Learn to record, alter, and produce all manner of digital audio
- Learn and apply physics, mathematics, programming and art to the creation of dynamic simulations and environments
- Work with a team of your peers as your captstone to apply what you learn throughout the pathway to create your own game
- We have the most comprehensive high school technology learning program in the area
- Learn how to use cutting edge industry-standard software like ZBrush, 3D Studio Max, Maya, Substance Painter & Designer, Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, FL Studio, Audition, Cutting Edge Game Engines and Tools, and Microsoft Visual Studio
- Submit your work digitally
- Smaller class sizes and student to teacher ratio
- Combine core classes with elective classes
- Graduate high school more prepared for the job market
- Flexible schedule allows students to take additional A-G courses and AP classes
- Gain college credits at MJC
- Meet UC A-G requirements
- Have fun working in groups with friends
- Great student support
2D Character Artist, 3D Modeler, Advertising Designer, Animator, Character Artist, Character Rigger, Cinematic Designer, Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Game Designer, Gameplay Animator, Level/Environment Designer, Level Lighting Artist, Simulation Artist, Technical Animator, Technical Artist, Texture Artist, UI Artist, Visual Effects Artist
AI Programmer, Animation Programmer, Audio Programmer, Cinematics Programmer, Client Systems Programmer, Data Engineer, Engine Programmer, Gameplay Programmer, Generalist Programmer, Graphics Programmer, Mobile Programmer, Multiplayer Programmer, Physics Programmer, R&D Programmer, Rendering Programmer, Server Programmer, Tools Programmer, UI Programmer
Acoustic Consultant, Audio Engineer for Videos or Games, Actor, Broadcast Anchor, Broadcast Journalist, Broadcast Technician, Digital Audio Editor, Digital Remastering Engineer, Director, Film/Video Editor, Live Concert Recording Engineer, Mastering Engineer, Mixing Engineer, Producer, Narrative Designer, Production Assistant, Production Manager, Radio Broadcasting, Recording Engineer, Recording Equipment Sales Rep., Recording Studio Assistant, Sound Engineer, Sound Technician, Studio Engineer, Stage Hand, Studio Designer, Studio Manager/Owner, Studio Technician/Maintenance, Systems Designer, Talent Manager, Technical Director, Technical Writer, Video Producer, Web Designer
DATA UC A-G Credit:
- COURSEA-G APPROVEDCREDIT YEAR
- 3D Graphics & Animation"f" electiveretroactive from 2016
- Advanced 3D Graphics & Animation"f" electiveretroactive from 2018
- Programming & Game Design"g" electiveapproved prior to 2016
- Intermediate Game Design"g" elective2019 onward
- Advanced Game Design"f" electiveretroactive from 2016
- Computer Programming"g" electiveretroactive from 2016
- Video Arts & Production"f" electiveapproved prior to 2016
- Multimedia Broadcasting 1-2"f" electiveretroactive from 2016
- Multimedia Broadcasting 3-4"f" electiveretroactive from 2016
- Digital Audio Production"f" electiveretroactive from 2017
- Studio Recording"f" electiveretroactive from 2018
- Web Design"g" elective2019 onward
This program helps prepare students for the following industry recognized certifications: Autodesk Certified User, Autodesk Certified Professional, Adobe Certified Associate, Adobe Certified Expert
Coordination with area colleges and universities gives the student an opportunity to receive college credit while taking the pathway's articulated high school courses.
- COURSEARTICULATIONMJC COURSE
- Computer ProgrammingarticulatedCMPSC 204: Introduction to Programming
- Web DesignarticulatedCMPGR 264: Publishing on the World Wide Web
- 3D Graphics & AnimationarticulatedCMPGR 225: 3D Graphics and Animation
- Advanced 3D Graphics & AnimationarticulatedCMPGR 226: 3D Graphics and Animation 2
- Digital Audio ProductionarticulatedMUSC 126: Introduction to Music Technology
- Video Arts and ProductionpendingCMPGR 266: Interactive Media Design & Development
For more information or questions about becoming part of this program, please contact:
Digital Arts & Technology