Ready to be part of the Art team? Click here to fill out a program enrollment form. If you meet program eligibility requirements, someone should get back to you within two business days with everything you need.
The Philosophy of the Visual Arts Department at Johansen High School is to encourage all students to learn about the Arts as a process of intellectual growth and self-discovery and as a contribution to the advancement of our collective cultural heritage. We believe that the creative process is essential to learning and we strive to provide a diverse, comprehensive curriculum that includes creating, making aesthetic judgments and developing a unique artistic voice. We challenge students to become life-long learners who understand and appreciate the potential of the Arts to enhance their lives by making them more involved, creative and responsible citizens.
Visual Arts Curriculum
- Art 1&2 (drawing, painting, design, sculpture)
- Advanced Ceramics
- Advanced Photography
- 3D Computer Graphics & Animation
- Video Production
Visual Arts Program Goals
- Maintain a diverse art curriculum that meets Modesto City Schools Fine Arts Requirements and State Standards.
- Provide a positive, meaningful and well rounded visual art experience for all our students.
- Maintain an active chapter of the National Art Honor Society.
- Ongoing student art shows displayed throughout the school.
- Display student artwork (1000+entries) on ARTSONIA a professional online student art gallery.
- Host the YOUTH ART MONTH student art show and contest for Stanislaus County at MJC art gallery.
National Art Honor Society
The National Art Honor Society ia a nationally recognized art honor society for high school students. Students are given the opportunity to use their talents in the community through art related activities and volunteer work. Members work toward the attainment of the highest standards in art areas, and to bring art education to the attention of the school and community.
To further enhance our art education we take a field trip to visit art museums in the bay area. To earn the NAHS graduation honor cord students must complete 10 hours of art related community service, attend meeting and maintain a 3.5 in all art classes and a 2.5 in all other classes.
For more information or questions about becoming part of Johansen's art program, please contact: